Water represents soma, the nourishing, cooling quality that is associated with lunar energy. It helps with digestion, cools and balances Pitta dosha, supports Kapha, and counteracts the dryness of Vata. It nurtures and detoxifies when it flows out of the body as urine.
The majority of our body is water. This water is stored everywhere inside and outside cells to dissolve nutrients, regulate body temperature, carry waste, send brain messages and lubricate all our moving parts. However, you lose a lot of water every day through breathing, sweat, Smallurine, and bowel movements. Your only choice for perfect health is to replenish your body with ample water.
So, the Ayurvedic way to drink water:
- Just as you should sit down to eat sit down to drink too.
- Take small sips instead of full-glass chA small sip, swallow, breathe. Repeat is th correct process.
- Drink water throughout the day. If you have a habbit of chugging too much water at once your body won’t actually absorb all of it.
- Drink water at room temperature. Lukewarm is considered even better but cold and iced water turns off the digestive system.
- Take small sips of water with your meals. If you drink too much while you eat, your belly won’t have enough room for digestive action. Remember this golden rule: fill your stomach 50% with food, 25% with water, and leave 25% empty for the digestive juices and process.
- For the same reason, don’t drink loads of water before or after your meals. Fill 50% with food, 25% with water, and rest 25% empty.
- Drink when you’re thirsty. Thirst is a natural impulse that should be hydrated.Thats a clear indication that your body needs water.
- As far as how much, we’re all different sizes with varied diets and lifestyles. One set rule of eight glasses a day simply can not apply to everyone. Human body has it’s self built-in defence measuring system: thirst. If you’re thirsty, drink water. When you listen to thirst cues and sip water throughout the day you’ll be drinking the right amount.
- Your urinecolour also helps confirmation to know if you’re proprely hydrated. It should be fairly clear and straw colored. If it’s dark yellow you need to drink more.
- Your lips also act as an indicator. If they’re dry you might be dehydrated.
The rules are so straightforward, perhaps even obvious or intuitive. But they might make a serious difference in the way you feel on a daily basis.
Water, when properly absorbed by the body, has several healing qualities:
- Helps to remove fatigue (Shramnashana)
- Enhances glow of skin
- Increases stamina
- Prevents constipation
- Helps digestion
- Provides satisfaction
- Helps the heart by pacifying Sadhaka Pitta
- Always helpful to the body
- Easy to assimilate