Ayurveda is India’s traditional alternative therapy, which uses holistic healing methods to promote good health. The three main classical texts that are the foundation of Ayurveda says that the human body is made of 5 elements – earth, fire, air, water and space. These five elements combine in the body to for three Doshas namely Pitta Dosha (Fire and Water) Vata Dosha (Space and Air), and Kapha Dosha (Water and Earth). Ayurvedic treatment tries to bring about a balance between the mind, body and spirit and harmonise it with the universe. Any disturbance of this harmony causes sickness and poor health.
Benefits of Ayurveda
Often called the “Science of Life”, Ayurveda has several physical and mental benefits that help in improving the overall quality of life. Ayurveda has been a part of life of the people of India since ancient times and in recent years, Western culture has also adopted the procedure of holy healing of the patient’s mind, body and spirit.
Given below are the reasons why Ayurveda is beneficial:
- Boosting Immunity–Ayurvedic medicine and Ayurvedic home remedies use a multitude of herbs and oils that are mixed together to create tonics that increases appetite and strengthen the body’s defense system.
- Complete Healing– The herb preparations administered by the Ayurvedic practitioner help in healing diseases from the root along with its symptoms.
- Relieving Stress– Stress is one of the main reasons of poor health, therapies and massages involved in Ayurvedic treatment helps in relieving stress and improving physical well-being by balancing the mood and achieving a harmony between the soul and the body.
- Purifying the Body–The Ayurvedic medicines and tonics cleansing from within in order to improve overall health.
- Maintaining Overall Balance – One of the greatest benefits of Ayurvedic treatment is that it helps achieving overall balance of energies in the body.
Panchakarma includes five natural methods of purification, giving the body an intensively detoxification of the body, while balancing the three doshas.
- Vamanam (Emesis Therapy or vomiting):
Vamanam is the best treatment for Kapha related diseases, as well as chronic skin disease such as psoriasis.Vamanam is introduced to eliminate Kapha, which causes the excess mucus. Congestion in the lungs causes repeated attacks of colds, cough and bronchitis.
- Virechanam (Purgation):
Removal of toxic matter from the intestines by administering therapeutic purging, Virechanam is a particularly effective cure in cases of jaundice and hemorrhoids.
The inhalation of medicated oil through the nostrils, eliminating any excess of moisture accumulated in the throat, sinus, nose or head areas. The patient’s body is massaged from the shoulders upwards, causing it to perspire. A carefully calculated doze of the herbal medicine is poured into the nostrils as the patient inhales. During this treatment, the area around the nose, neck, shoulders, palms & feet are rubbed. This is highly beneficial in conditions such as migraine, sinusitis, chronic cold and chest congestion.
An enema using Kashaya Vasti and battling the dominant vata disease. Vashti involves the introduction of a mixture of herbs in the rectum, relieving constipation, kidney stones, back pain, sciatica and other types of joint pain.
This is given to patients suffering from anemia, diabetes, and obesity. All vata aggravated diseases, such as joint paralysis, disorders, constipation, arthritis, urinary and reproductive disorders benefit from the practice of Anuvaasan.